The scheme involves 19km of new dual carriageway construction and 16km of on-line widening of the existing A14 dual carriageway. The benefits of the scheme will be improved journey reliability, decreased journey times and better safety levels for all road users.
Particular technical challenges posed by this scheme include;
- High traffic volumes and percentage of HGVs
- On-line widening of an existing dual carriageway
- Building of a new route across extensive flood plains
- Demolition of existing viaduct over East Coast Main Line railway
- Minimising the environmental impact on an open landscape
- Preparation of contract documents enabling the Highways Agency to tender the scheme.
- Carrying out a Further Public Consultation
- Assisting the Highways Agency with announcement of a Preferred Route for the scheme
- Assisting the Highways Agency with the tender process and the selection of an ECI Contractor.
- Appointment as Supervisor under the ECI Contract.
Client; Highways Agency
Status: Construction is due to be complete by 2015