The Hotel Schloss Fuschl was built in 1450 as a hunting lodge and for centuries served as the summer residence for Salzburg's bishops. The hotel became world famous as the setting of the Sissi films in the 1950s. The aim of the constructional modifications and extensions was to modernise the hotel to 5-star level.
The challenge was to find an appropriate balance between traditional and modern elements. The aim was to add a number of high-quality hotel offerings to the existing structure and develop a harmonic overall ensemble.
The new structure actually further enhances the flair and character of the historical walls. A 1,100 m2 beauty and spa area is now located in the "Waldhaus", where the idyllic view over the lake is integrated thanks to the wide glass façade. The puristic spa area and extravagant gourmet restaurant contrast with the castle and its traditional construction.
After renovation was complete, the hotel reopened in July 2006. With 65 deluxe and grand-deluxe rooms – of a total of 110 rooms – it now meets all the requirements of a modern luxury hotel.
As part of project controlling, WSP provided the building owner with support in the implementation of the project aims. High quality in particular was an essential prerequisite for using the building in the luxury segment.
Building owner: Hotel Schloss Fuschl GmbH
Architect: Architekturbüro Wegmann
Service: Construction Management
Construction period: 10/2005–7/2006
Gross area: 18,000 m2