The project was initiated by the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality, however SANRAL's buy-in was essential as the interchange will ultimately fall under their jurisdiction. It was therefore required that the designs adhered to the specifications and standards of both parties.
The Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality pursued the idea of the proposed N12/Alliance Road Interchange in Daveyton after the need for improved access to the area was identified by the community over 10 years ago. With the planning process nearing its end and the construction planned to commence in 2012, the following benefits are anticipated:
- Improved access to Daveyton, which currently only have one indirect access
- Stimulating the existing CBD and attracting development capital
- Creating employment for people in the East Rand
- Deflecting pressure for development from the vicinity of the adjacent interchanges where the land is not suitable for development to Daveyton, which has the entire required infrastructure, except freeway access
- Allowing easy access to the Sinaba Stadium in Daveyton
- Creating a welcoming and aestetically pleasing entrance into Daveyton by means of landscaping
WSP's project engineer, Cornelia Hutchinson, said that the new interchange will require some changes to the local access streets in Daveyton. This expanded the scope of works to provide alternative access routes to the affected residential area and commercial properties. The road proclamation diagrams have been approved by the Surveyor General and will be published to the public in due course.
Due to the location of the site and the demographics of the surrounding area, it was required that robust and low-maintenance landscaping and street furniture be used in the design, with the focus on pedestrian and driver safety in terms of placement of lanscaping and street lighting design.
The project includes the construction of a half-diamond off-ramp (N12-eastbound) and on-ramp (N12-westbound) between Alliance Road and the N12 highway, as well as widening of the N12 freeway between Kingsway interchange and the new Alliance Road Interchange to accommodate auxiliary lanes between the two interchanges.
This project is part of a long term commitment by the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality to encourage the development of Daveyton and surrounding areas.