There is more to mining than just drilling and blasting. We are experts in a range of disciplines that will ensure that your mining project will be both economically and environmentally sustainable.
WSP brings together a wealth of mining experience, harnessing the strategic and technical knowledge of our best people from our business areas in South Africa, Scandinavia, United Kingdom, Australia and USA. Our multi-disciplinary engineering consulting services will help you from very beginning to the end of a mining project.
WSP offers environmental planning and project management for all phases of environmental authorizations for legal compliance. In addition we have a range of specialist services which can add value to any operation.
Engineering services from WSP
- Mine planning
- Planning and permits
- Earthworks and geotechnical design
- Electrical installations
- Project management and construction management
- Mine design
Environmental services from WSP
- Environmental planning and authorization
- Air Quality Services
- Hydrological Services
- Hydrogeological services
- Environmental and Corporate Risk Management
- Ecological Services
- Waste Management Services
We are very proud of our very strong track record of project and clients across the globe.
Our clients list includes the likes of Rio Tinto, De Beers, Anglo Gold, LKAB, New Boliden and Larfarge Aggregates.
- Support for Anglo American Platinum to increase capacity from 3.5 million oz to 5 million oz at the Rustenburg Mine by managing the EMP Amendment process
- Majority of design and structural design of New Bolidens Aitik 36 project in Aitik mine, one of Europe’s biggest copper mines, in Sweden.
- Comprehensive environmental baseline studies including air quality, mine wastes, soil characterisation, surface water, groundwater quality, biodiversity and ecosystems for the AngloGold Ashanti Siguiri Gold Mine in the Republic of Guinea.
- Investigation of rock stability for LKAB´s new ore storage silos in Kiruna in Sweden
- Inventory of contaminated sites and assigned to hazard classes in New Bolidens Rönnskärs Smelter in Sweden
- Development of an online data management system for Consol Energy, the largest producer of high-Btu bituminous coal in the US, where it manages millions of analytical records for submittal to regulatory authorities.
- Feasibility studies to re-route the railway line and public highways in Kiruna. The city has to move due to the expansion of the mine in Kiruna.
- Project Management of Northland Resources new iron ore concentrator plant in Kaunisvaara in Sweden.
- Providing environmental data management and compliance reporting for Rosabud Mining, the third largest coal producer in Pennsylvania, USA.